LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The One

After we moved to our new home, Eddie started up the search again for a procedure that would best fit him. He sat me down one night and proclaimed that he found "the one"! 

He told me there was this new procedure called LapBand. It was supposed to be minimally invasive, out patient surgery, and REVERSABLE.  He knew this was what he wanted to do.

At the time every billboard in southern California and every commercial break on the radio was for 1-800-GET-THIN.  They were really pushing the LapBand. 

He talked about the LapBand for months, but it was all talk. Until one day a year later he told me he had an appointment with the 1-800 people. I thought, "Ok, I'm going with you and checking these people out."

I'm so glad I went. This place was not at all what I expected. It was an office from the early 1970s. We got there and they put us in a room that had two rows of chairs and a bed. Not a hospital bed or a gurney. A real queen size bed with sheets and blanket.  My first thought was to run if this is where they were going to do the surgery. No freakin way was I going to support my husband going under the knife in this crap hole.

At one point some crazy skinny lady came in and told us how happy she is with the LapBand and she lost 150 pounds and life is wonderful.

We were eventually taken in to a room that had an exam table and another bed. What was up with the beds?  does this place become a homeless shelter at night?

A doctor (I'm not so sure he really was one) came in and explained how the LapBand procedure worked. I asked questions about diet and also about complications. He seemed completely annoyed by my questions.
I was so glad to get out of that place. We were going to talk about things and see what to do next.

Oh and I found out the beds were for sleep apnea testing.  (And homeless people when they don't have many patients)

Just kidding about the homeless people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment